Karlovy Vary is the largest spa town in the Czech Republic. The uniqueness of the local mineral springs was discovered by the emperor Charles IV, who founded the town, as early as in the 14th century. Treatment of diseases by means of springs has accompanied Karlovy Vary since its origin up to the present day. However, it has been famed also as a significant cultural centre. Every year the International Film Festival takes place, to which thousands of tourists and tens of celebrities regularly come. Other Karlovy Vary attractions are a historical centre with many monuments, spa forests interlaced with tourist trails, several golf courses and other sports areas.
One of the most popular buildings of Karlovy Vary is the Mill Colonnade. The most important religious building is St. Mary Magdalene Church. Underground the church there is a unique funeral chapel that you can look into during the excursion to the Hot Spring Underground. The Hot Spring is the hottest and strongest Karlovy Vary spring, it jets to the height of up to 16 m. You will find it on the Hot Spring Colonnade.
Other monuments and attractions in the town and its surroundings:
- Park Colonnade, Chateau Colonnade, Market Colonnade
- Castle Tower
- St. Peter and Paul Orthodox Church
- Emperor’s Spa, Alžbětiny lázně (Elizabeth’s Spa), Spa III
- Hotel Imperial
- Grand hotel Pupp
- Diana Outlook Tower, Goethe’s Lookout
- Military Spa Institution
- and many others
The largest and most famous spa town in the Czech Republic is visited by hundreds of thousands patients from various parts of the world every year. Karlovy Vary is visited by spa patients suffering especially from the following health troubles:
- diseases of gastrointestinal system
- metabolic disorders
- diabetes, gout, obesity, periodontitis
- diseases of locomotive organs
- diseases of liver, pancreas, gallbladder and biliary tract
- recovery from oncological diseases
- neurological disorders
The following procedures are used most often for treatment in the Karlovy Vary spa resort:
- Drinking cure: Water began to be used internally as early as in the 16th century. The patients drink about half a litre of mineral water a day. Every spring has a different composition of mineral salts, ions and gases, and thus different effects. Therefore it is necessary to follow your physician’s instructions.
- Baths: Bubble, carbonic, peat, mineral and other baths help patients promote muscular relaxation, improve blood circulation, eliminate pain, heal wounds, remedy skin diseases etc.
- Massages: Massages on a masseur’s table even under water help the spa clients promote muscular relaxation, better mobility, eliminate pain etc. Certain massages have cosmetic effects too.
- Electrotherapy: Electrotherapy helps with diseases of joints, locomotive organs and metabolic disorders. It eliminates pain, improves blood supply in tissues and promotes muscular relaxation.
- Inhalation of mineral water: Inhalation of finely spread mineral water helps fight allergies, respiratory diseases etc.
Besides these spa treatment procedures, you will get many other therapeutic procedures in Karlovy Vary. However, their aim is common: improvement of your health state.
Sports and tourism
Karlovy Vary is surrounded with Spa Forests that provide enjoyment to the walking tourists and cyclists on variously exacting trails with the total length of more than 130 km. During walking trips on the marked trails you will find upon a number of gazebos, outlook points and towers and other minor buildings that serve as a shelter from rain as well as a place for relaxation. In Karlovy Vary and its surroundings you will find 9 golf courses. Golf has had its tradition in Karlovy Vary since 1904.
Other sports facilities:
- tennis courts and halls
- in-line skating circle
- swimming (indoor, outdoor swimming pools, natural open-air swimming pool)
- bowling, skittles
- fitness, spinning, aerobic
- and others
The spa town Karlovy Vary has got its fame all over the world thanks to the International Film Festival and unique spa treatment. The international fame of Karlovy Vary has been also contributed by original Karlovy Vary products. Almost every tourist buys Becherovka, Moser glass, Thun porcelain or Traditional Spa Wafers. However, the most important thing that visitors have got for 650 years, is unique experiences and stronger health.
MEDISPA Krajský úřad Karlovarského kraje
Závodní 353/88, 360 21 Karlovy Vary
Kontakní osoba: Ing. E. Hávová
Tel.: +420 353 502 232